For most people in the corporate world, the concept of ‘Thank God It’s Friday’ is a reality. The current norm in the workplace these days is to dread work. It is so common to see people all around us, who are caught up in doing something they do not enjoy. Mostly, they don’t genuinely care for what they’re doing, nor do they take pride in their work, making their everyday job a struggle.
Not everyone is a part of this group though. There are people, for whom, their work is a form of passion and sparks excitement in them as well as invigorates them.
A good business idea lies in the intersection of opportunity and passion. When launching a new business, passion is the most crucial motivator. It is also usually, the most reliable and accurate predictor of whether a business idea will transform into a successful business or not. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that passion determines if a business will be successful or not.
Do you know if you are working on the right business idea? Take our business idea evaluation assessment to find out.
The journey to success is not only bumpy and difficult, it is also overpopulated. To be able to win over competitors, one needs to care about what he does. If you watch any successful entrepreneur talk about their work, you will notice their zeal and enthusiasm for their work and an undying passion and love for what they’re doing.
What Is Passion?
There is so much talk on passion in work everywhere these days, but do we really understand what we mean by the term? Passion actually means an individual’s ambition, drive, and an undying sense of love in what he does or whom he serves.
Passion helps you see the world in a manner, very different from how others see it. This helps you pursue your unique vision and create something which others can’t probably even conceive the idea of, just like how Steve Jobs dreamt of creating a phone which would have only one button on the front screen.
Why Do You Need Passion?
If you love what you do, you will be ready to work more and give in your best shot at it, increasing your chances of success. If you are passionate about your vision and what goes into achieving it, the sense of monotony will not creep, leading to a better performance at your end.
When you are involved in work that excites you, you would not count the hours you put in to achieve your goals and there would be no sense of burden or stress in the process.
Throwing in every bit of energy and resource you have becomes an everyday thing when you are passionate about your work.
Passion Can Bring You Success In Business
Maybe you can do without having a passion for your service or product, but being passionate about business raises your chances of success. You may not be passionate about the product or service you are selling, but if you are excited and passionate about being an entrepreneur itself, it will go a long way in driving you to success.
Your business will inevitably go through difficulties, your passion to succeed will see you through these dark days, and keep your faith in your decisions and vision.
On days you feel like giving up on your business, your zeal and commitment to realize your dream will keep you going.
Ways Of Translating Your Passion Into Success
Owning and running a business is very different from being an employee.
Unlike an employee, you will not have pre-determined and informed tasks when you handle a business. You will have to create your own goals and lay down strategies and plans to meet those goals and make those strategies work. So it is clear that running a business is not an 8-hour job, it will occupy you physically, emotionally, and mentally full time.
You need to ask yourself if you are ready for such a high level of commitment, 7 days a week for a very long time span because it is next to impossible to attain success without this fire and dedication in you.
Your passion for your work will translate into success in the following ways:
- Making you more attractive to investors: Investors get exposed to people with a variety of business ideas every day. Before taking the risk of investing in a business, an investor always analyses if you are just another hopeful person, trying to gain success from an already successful idea in the market, or you have a genuine passion for an idea which you are dedicated to pursuing. A lack of passion will make you give up on your idea easily. This makes investors wary because they do not want to put in their money at stake where there is a possibility of failure. If you are emotionally invested in your business, coupled with a great business idea, you will put in your heart and soul into its success and this boosts the investors’ confidence in you and makes your idea more salable.
- Overcoming failure through passion: A lot of startups face failure very early on in their life stage. The fear of failure drives away many entrepreneurs from going after their dream. But not all fear is bad. In fact, fear has two sides to it. If you let the fear of failure paralyze your decision making, it will hamper your journey and hinder your walk on the road to success. Instead, if you acknowledge this fear and let this fear act as a driving force to push you to work more passionately, it will only help you achieve your goal.
- Motivation to keep going: When you set out to establish a business, there is no immediate return or outcome that you can expect. You may see your friends and peers earning regular salaries around you while you may have to wait for months or even years to break even. Success in business demands patience, focus, belief, and most importantly, motivation to keep going forward. Your passion for your business is what gives you the much-needed characteristics to not give up.
- Integrity to work: Customers can very easily identify sellers who have no empathy for them and who simply want to push their products and get sales in the market. Such sellers are repelling and not appreciated by customers. If you have a genuine passion to bring products that solve the problems of customers and focus on their well-being, your integrity will reflect in your product or service and will foster a positive perception in the mind of your customer.
- Long term success: When you have intense passion and respect for your business concept, you will do everything to keep the fire burning in the long run. You will not be inclined to extract mindless, short term gains from your business, instead you will take decisions and act towards the long term health and image of your business. This will ultimately help you gain the respect and faith from investors, stakeholders, and customers in the long run and will make your business sustainable and growth-oriented.
Reasons Why Passion Is The Key Driver To A Successful Enterprise
There are several reasons why passion acts as the roadmap to a prospering enterprise.
- Passion helps draw the right customers to the business.
- Passion guides the vision in your business idea, especially if it is into a field no one has ventured into before.
- When you are stuck in a hurdle, passion helps you gain clarity.
- Passion for your idea helps you create a reliable and authentic brand and brand value.
- Passion fills you up with the motivation and self-confidence that you are going to need to deliver your ideas to the world.
- Passion will lead you to build a strong business foundation and build strong core values.
- It will also help you connect with the right people who share similar or complementary perspectives.
- It will lead you to gain expertise in your field and build your own space.
- It also makes you stand out as unique, placing you ahead of your competitors.
How To Foster Passion
Today, as you set out to give shape to your business idea, you may not have a deep-rooted passion for the product you are going to market and may just have a passion to make it successful as an entrepreneur. Go with your passion to be successful as a businessman and keep working at it. With time, you will discover and develop a passion for other aspects of your business, making it a wholesome dream for you.
Can Passion Be Misleading Too?
Although passion is elementary to realize your entrepreneurial dream, it may also lead you to overdo things and getting you into commitments you are not worth. This, in turn, can be dangerous for your business. You have to understand where to draw a line and hold back when your passion is not placed in the right direction.
At some point in time, passion and logic may pull you in different directions. You have to make a well thought over and wise decision on those crucial junctures. But in the end, don’t let go of the fire and zeal within you and follow your dream to success.
If you like our posts, do check out our other posts here.