Is it normal to feel nervous when starting a business? Of course, it is! Starting a business is a huge undertaking and it’s natural to feel some anxiety about it. But if you let your fear get the better of you, it can prevent you from taking the necessary steps to get your business off the ground.
When we are afraid, the hypothalamus in the brain releases a series of chemicals to the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal cortical system. The sympathetic nervous system receives signals to release ‘stress hormones’ like adrenaline. These kick the body into a higher gear, so it becomes tense and alert.
At the same time, the adrenal cortical system releases hormones to other parts of the body, which creates a series of significant changes to occur instantly. Heart rate and blood pressure go up.
Fear is a normal phenomenon in our bodies. But with regards to starting a business, what are the common fears that come to anyone’s mind?
1. Lack of business knowledge & experience
Most people are afraid to start a business they don’t have a business background or unfamiliar with financial terms. But you can always learn a lot in the form of education, experience or advice from others. Remember that most people who start businesses don’t have prior knowledge. And it takes them multiple iterations of failure after failure to understand what works and what doesn’t.
2. Fear of uncertainty
Most people who are already employed and have a secure job are accustomed to the regular secure payments at the end of every month. They will find it challenging to start a business. But if you have to remember one thing. Just like you planned your career moves, starting a business is similar. You need to have a business plan and confidence that you will be able to build something big. So you have to keep faith in yourself, your ideas, and your plans to launch your business gradually.
3. Availability of similar companies
This is another reason why many people fail to even start their own business. They often think that their business will be another company similar to others in the market. So how can they convince customers to buy from them?
No two businesses are the same, although the product or service offered may be similar. You have to differentiate your business from others in some way and need to study the market in depth.
4. Not being the first mover for the product/service
Sometimes, you may feel that your idea is not unique and there is already a similar business in the market. The fear of not being the first mover of such a product also intimidates people. But remember that most successful companies were not first movers. Significant examples include Google and Facebook. You don’t have to be the first. You have to be different and better.
5. Am I too old or young?
A lot of studies have been done to find out the ideal age for starting a business. Well, there isn’t any. However, the general advice is that you should have at least a few years of experience working for others so that you know the kind of challenges founders deal with and potential solutions to some of these problems. Mark Zuckerberg started Facebook, dropping out of college. But you also have people like Colonel Sanders who started KFC at 65.
6. Fear of losing a stable life
This is probably the most common reason why salary earners don’t start a business. To not get a paid every month is not something many can accept, especially if they have to take of their family members. Starting a business is a significant step to take and whatever business you start, there is a 70% chance of failing. It is only ‘you who can make the right choice.
How to deal with your fears?
We’ve looked at why people fear to start businesses. Now let’s look at ways to overcome the fear.
1. Positive attitude
To do something greater in life, we need to face our fears. To deal with fear, try to take things positively. If you think of all the negative results of any new initiative or change in life, you will never achieve anything. Consider the positive outcomes, believe in yourself, and then see the results.
One of the main reasons for anxiety is a lack of knowledge or expertise. Knowledge is the one thing you have to invest your time and money into. To deal with fear, learning is essential. Once learning comes through the door, fear goes away.
3. Better surrounding
Be a part of a community that is active in the thing which you want to do. You are an average of 5 people you surround yourself with. Change the people you are interacting with daily. Try to spend time with people with a positive mindset who also believe in doing something similar to your goal.
Meditation can help you to face your fear in a positive way. It will reduce your anxiety and help you keep calm. Try to make yourself available at least 5-10 minutes every day to meditate. Do daily meditation and see the changes within you.
Tips for staying motivated when starting your own business
One of the hardest things about starting your own business is staying motivated throughout the process. It can be easy to get bogged down in the details and lose sight of your goals. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track:
1. Define your goals clearly from the outset. What do you want to achieve with your business? Write down your goals and refer back to them often to keep yourself on track.
2. Find a mentor or role model who has already achieved what you want to achieve. Seeing someone else succeeding at what you’re striving for can be a great motivator.
3. Build a supportive network of family and friends who believe in your vision. Surrounding yourself with positive people will help you stay positive and motivated.
4. Stay focused on the present and don’t dwell on past failures. Every day is a new opportunity to move closer to your goals.
5. Take things one step at a time and celebrate each small victory along the way. Achieving your goals is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride!
Final thoughts on how to start a business without fear
In conclusion, don’t be afraid to take the necessary steps to start your own business. Yes, it can be daunting, and there are a lot of things to think about and plan for. But with careful planning and execution, you can overcome any fears you have and be successful in starting your own business.
Just remember to do your research, put together a solid business plan, and surround yourself with a great team of people who believe in your vision. With these tips, you’ll be on your way to starting a business without fear!
Do you have any other tips on how to overcome the fear of starting a business?
If you enjoyed this post, do check out our other startup and business-related posts:
- How Important Is Having Passion In Business?
- Should you quit your job to start a business?
- How to avoid burnout as a startup founder or business owner?
- Importance of listening for entrepreneurs
- How to suck less at handling conflict as a CEO?
- How to get rid of burnout, exhaustion & depression as an entrepreneur and build your dream business?
- Who is a startupper and how to be one?
- Business networking for entrepreneurs
- How to get started with sales as a founder when you’ve never done it before?
FAQ – Overcoming the Fear of Starting a Business
Q: Is it normal to feel nervous when starting a business? A: Yes, it is completely normal to feel nervous when starting a business. It’s a significant undertaking, and anxiety is a natural response to such a venture.
Q: What are some common fears associated with starting a business? A: Some common fears include:
- Lack of business knowledge and experience.
- Fear of uncertainty and leaving a secure job.
- Concerns about competition and differentiating one’s business.
- Fear of not being the first mover in the market.
- Doubts about age suitability for starting a business.
- Fear of losing a stable life and financial security.
Q: Should I quit my job to start a business? A: Deciding whether or not to quit your job depends on various factors, including your financial situation, risk tolerance, and level of commitment to the business. It’s recommended to carefully assess your circumstances and have a solid business plan in place before making such a decision.
Q: How can I deal with the fear of starting a business? A: Here are some strategies to overcome fear:
- Maintain a positive attitude and focus on the potential positive outcomes.
- Invest time and effort in learning and gaining knowledge about business.
- Surround yourself with like-minded individuals who share similar goals and aspirations.
- Practice meditation or relaxation techniques to reduce anxiety and maintain calm.
- Seek guidance from mentors or role models who have succeeded in similar endeavors.
Q: How can I stay motivated when starting my own business? A: Here are a few tips for staying motivated:
- Clearly define your goals and refer to them regularly for guidance.
- Find a mentor or role model who has achieved what you aspire to accomplish.
- Build a supportive network of family and friends who believe in your vision.
- Stay focused on the present and learn from past failures without dwelling on them.
- Celebrate small victories along the way and enjoy the journey of building your business.
Q: Do you have any additional tips to overcome the fear of starting a business? A: Here are a few more tips:
- Break down the process into smaller, manageable tasks to make it less overwhelming.
- Seek feedback and advice from experienced entrepreneurs or professionals in your industry.
- Embrace failure as a learning opportunity and be open to adapting your strategies.
- Take calculated risks and be willing to step outside your comfort zone.
- Stay organized and maintain a clear vision of your business goals.